Friday, July 2, 2010

summer night dinner

Luke and I do about 95% of the cooking together, which is why it's fun, every once in a while, for one of us to cook for the other. I've grown to really like Thursday nights, when Luke gets off at 11 pm. In the winter, by eleven I'd be feeling sleepy and lazy. In the summer, I've waited for it to cool down outside, had a nice walk to the grocery store, and have dinner ready just a couple minutes after he gets home. Midnight dinners happen a lot at our house during the summer.


We get food from a co-op every week (if you live in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Texas, Washington, Nevada, or Arizona, I highly recommend it- Bountiful Baskets- for $16 you get $30-40 worth of fresh produce), so all I needed for summer vegetable. sandwiches was some french bread and mozzarella. I cut the bread in half lengthwise (somehow, in my head, eating half a loaf of french bread with tons of stuff on top didn't seem like too much for two people. I was wrong!), brushed with olive oil (and next time, balsamic vinegar), and piled with grilled and fresh veggies: eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes. Topped with cheese, broiled for a bit, and we had fantastic summer night sandwiches.


No comments:

Post a Comment